Sunday, March 29, 2015

My goals, and the 10 physical skills.


When you hit the free weights section, put on your running shoes or/and take your bag of rackets and leave your doorstep, you need to think about your goals. Goals give your workout a deeper meaning. This applies to your daily job, your life and everything you choose to do now, especially when time is precious (you'll come to realize it with age, like me *cough cough*),

It was the new year's day of 2015 - and I had some time to sit down with my laptop and brainstorm my short term and long term goals dividing them to sections of personal, relationships, finance, self-improvement, spiritual, social/community, health and fitness. So here is it copied and pasted for your leisure read;

Long term goals: 
Reduce prevalence of joints injury and counteract muscle atrophy that naturally comes with age and with my bad genes, i.e. to not break my hips from a small fall when I am hitting 50s! (yes I am thinking very far ahead)
Solution to this?
- To include more functional and compound workouts. 
- To be well-balanced in all aspects of physical skills - cardio endurance, stamina, strength, flexibility, power, speed, coordination, agility, balance and accuracy. 
Mid term goals 
To master the foundation of calisthenics, weightlifting AND yoga, because in my opinion they are the best synergy of workout that can bring balance to the symmetry of my body (left vs right limbs, hamstring vs quads, adductors vs abductors, abs vs back, internal vs external rotator cuff)

SHORT TERM GOALS: To improve on...
1) Core strength (to reduce lower back overcompensation of load for the lack of it!) 
2) Postural balance (to balance sedentary lifestyle - hamstring tightness, upper cross syndrome, rounded shoulders etc) 
3) Left upper body strength and flexibility (no thanks racket sports dominance since young!) 
4) Anterior chain flexibility (thoracic and abdominal extension, hip flexor extension) 
5) Posterior chain strength (degree of importance and priority: shoulders > glutes > upper and middle back > hamstring)

My deadlift PR for a first timer: 70kg (120% my bodyweight)! :D
So being the geek I am, here are analyses on my physical strengths, what defines them, and each are rated according to where I think I am vs how far do I need to go to be where I feel/think I need to be;
  1. Cardiovascular/respiratory endurance: The ability of body systems to gather, process, and deliver oxygen. 2.5/10 
  2. Stamina: The ability of body systems to process, deliver, store, and utilize energy. 5/10 
  3. Strength: The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply force. 2.5/10 
  4. Flexibility: the ability to maximize the range of motion at a given joint 5/10 
  5. Power: The ability of a muscular unit, or combination of muscular units, to apply maximum force in minimum time (i like to call this muscle explosivity!) 3/10
  6. Speed: The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement. 3/10 
  7. Coordination: The ability to combine several distinct movement patterns into a singular distinct movement. 5/10
  8. Agility: The ability to minimize transition time from one movement pattern to another. 4.5/10 
  9. Balance: The ability to control the placement of the bodies center of gravity in relation to its support base. 4/10 
  10. Accuracy: The ability to control movement in a given direction or at a given intensity. 7/10

Proof of poor stamina after singles in badminton! :p

Learning on the court, in the gym, in the studio and off them, over the last two months has made me more aware (and also excited) of my body's strengths and weaknesses. I was going to mention something about health but I realize my ravenous and carnivorous eating habits prohibit me from being anywhere close to even have the intention to discuss about 'health'.

And that wraps up my rant of the day!


"What makes you unique?" 
I am a powerful challenger.



Read more

No comments:

Post a Comment